[IRCA] WSRP-910 and Others Off the Air

Folks,

Not certain to whom this should be sent so I'll send it to the normal group. Please re-send as you feel appropriate. Most info is from the FCC website.

Mike Hardester
Jacksonville, NC
Toyota Camry with embedded windshield antenna

On 7 January 2009, the owners of (North Carolina AM stations) 910-WSRP (Jacksonville), 1230-WLNR (Kinston), and 1370-WLLN (Lillington) filed with the FCC a Notification of Suspension of Operations and Request for Silent STA due to financing. Each station's format is in Spanish. WSRP is confirmed off, however, neither WLNR or WLLN are normally audible here, so I cannot comment if they're off.

In their reason for requesting the STA, the owners stated: "It is not financially feasible to continue operating the station at this time. This STA is requested to allow the licensee an opportunity to seek additional revenue sources or a purchaser."

During the First Gulf War (then WLAS) on 910 went silent for an extended period of time. This was due to the mass deployment of military personnel, from Camp Lejeune, to the Gulf and resulting very weak economy.

I'm a bit surprised at this situation occurring now, owing to the strong Hispanic population in this area. However, local WLDG-98.7 FM (x-WKOO which had an "Oldies" format) has been full time in the Spanish language for about 2 years. Perhaps their ratings are higher than the AM side.