[IRCA] (no subject)

There's been a fair bit of talk on various DX lists about 1220 CHSC and what stands to happen.

The only recent precedent I can think of - unless something else low-key has happened of this sort that I'm unaware of - is CHOI 98.1 in Quebec City. Its licence was revoked for issues related to inapporpriate remarks made on air, and what was deemed to be management's relative inaction. I can't recall the exact details offhand and don't want to risk introducing error into this discussion by trying to recall (and I don't have time now to do the research - I'm sure it's all up on the web in various places). But it was hugely controversial. CHOI appealed, the case was going through the courts, there was even an attempt at political intervention, and then - somehow, again I can't recall the exact details) - the station transfered to new ownership and was allowed to continue.

Bottom line here is whether or not CHSC will sign-off for good on Aug 31/Sept. 1.

The safe answer is that time will tell. But matters can always get complicated, so I'll pull a possible scenario that occurs to me:

The CHOI Situation - CHSC delays the situation as long as possible, and while the CRTC has not renewed the licence thus effectively killing the media property it's always possible that somehow this could get reversed if the right political or political appeals are made. Everyone would win - the Niagara region would retain a local station (hee hee, actually it would gain one), any jobs at the station would likely remain intact and more likely there would be a few new hires, the current owners wowuld go away quietly, and there'd be a new functional business. DXers hindered by the continuing presence of CHSC would be the only losers - I'm greedily hoping for at least one full season with only Cleveland to null. DXers like Pat martin, who use CHSC as a beacon to indicate good eastern cx would be winners.

CHSC could also appeal to federal Cabinet (really, the political party in power, the Conservatives) and win - it would help if they have any clout, say having in the past donated large sums of money to the party or helping with a local electoral campaign - in other words, if they've made political friends.

It's also crossed my mind that CHSC might take the pirate approach. Just keep broadcasting till they're forced off. Maybe scream about freedom of speech. They do have a history of not paying close attention to CRTC orders.

My gut sense is this operation is extremely cash-strapped or for other reasons not in fact a viable radio operation. So if I were gambling I'd put a decent bit of money on their going for good on Aug. 31-Sept. 1. But I would not bet my financial future on it.

One more task for me for August - to compile a hit-list for 1220. Cleveland isn't an easy null. CHSC has actually been the lesser of the two main pests on 1220. But this will definitely help. I've had a few good catches there - like Boissevain MB. Maybe I'll finally get Mexico...if...

Saul Chernos