 From: Mark D Mobile <Mark4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: MDXC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; Putrich Greg <gregp@xxxxxxxxx>; DX-IRCA <irca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "DX @NRC" <am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 5:23 PM
Subject: [IRCA] Beverage Antenna in Utah Part Two

REPORT 2:   We concluded our work on Monday 5/7 and 'struck the set'.  SDR recordings had been made over several evenings on both the elevated Beverage and the BOG (1800 feet).  Mike's suggested antenna azimuth was validated by the high number of stations received in the corridor: Eastern Washington--Western Montana.  I'll post the catch-list later as we look for the unlikely Alaska catches.  I say unlikely BECAUSE:

In addition to the weather issues we encountered an abnormally high noise level throughout the weekend.  With the bandwidth we used (6 khz), the SDRs were displaying noise around -75 to -80 dbm.  (I'm used to Beverage noise floors below -110.)  This was one difficulty we just couldn't overcome.  The noise (certainly QRN) was broadband and continuous, as opposed to the spiky stuff you hear when it's primarily atmospherics.

Other measurements involved switching an SDR between the elevated Bev and the BOG and recording signal levels; both broadband and narrowband.  These results and other data will be published later.  To be determined on further playback is whether the BOG was performing as an electrically-longer antenna than the elevated...on this very dry desert floor.

On one occasion when we lit up in daytime we heard a rhythmic interference spike several db above that dreaded broadband noise.  Of interest is that this noise was greatly reduced when we switched from the elevated to the BOG.

The single-wire remote beverage terminator worked very well, as noted earlier.

Further Facts Follow From us Fools in the Field.

Mark Durenberger
On the road