[IRCA] NEWS FROM THE CONVENTION-DAY THREE

[IRCA] NEWS FROM THE CONVENTION-DAY THREE

Even us 'old folks' seemed to have stood up well after another busy day. Saturday-morning sessions at the Museum addressed LOOP CONSTRUCTION, AN UPDATE ON SHORT-WAVE LISTENING, A REVIEW OF THE ULTRALIGHT SCENE, A LOOK AT HOW THE PAVEK MUSEUM CAME TO LIFE AND A REVIEW OF THE LONG-WAVE, ULTRA-LONG-WAVE AND "ALMOST-DC" BANDS. As usual, many of us learned something new.

The afternoon was open, with a well-attended optional WCCO RADIO TRANSMITTER tour at the early-1930's plant that's complete with a boiler room, Civil Defense Fallout shelter and the ghosts of Arthur Godfrey and Edward R. Murrow lingering in the hallways. This station once boasted ratings of more than 50% of all radio listeners in the Upper Midwest. Our thanks to host WCCO CE Craig Walters.

The Banquet at the hotel was rated 'excellent' by food critics (though a few of the steaks could have been slightly better-toasted). We enjoyed the stories of DX-er/Broadcaster Dean Sorenson, our Banquet Raconteur.

The Great Big Auction moved more than 150 items, donated by members of all clubs. Phil Bytheway was priceless in his role as Grand Poobah, combing the best qualities of Milton Berle, Billy Graham, Colonel Sanders and John Commutta. Perhaps two-thirds of those present were bidding, spending an average of $20 each for some really good values. And we raised a bit over $100 for the Pavek Museum.

This morning, as we say farewell to some of our long-distance travelers, those still standing or able to sit will be challenged by the DX Quiz and we'll view the latest installment of Scott Fybush's Tower Tour.

Your friendly and weary correspondent will eventually deliver a convention wrap-up and some observations on what was clearly a successful event. Even our Minnesota weather was at its best!

Regards,

Mark Durenberger