Re: [IRCA] BOGish sky loop

Right now I have a 240 foot semi loop running around my six foot high fence. It is fed with RG-58 the coax connects to the shortest leg that runs about 60 feet north to south, the longest leg which is about 120 feet east west, and another north to south leg that is about 80 feet long. it is un-terminated and the short leg runs under the main house feed that is about 10 to 12 feet above it and crosses it at an angle of maybe 65 to 70 degrees. It gives me no power line noise. I performs well her but I do live in a rural area with my closest neighbors being at least 1/4 mile way on either side. The only noise I really get here right now is off the 17 inch HP lappy I am using to log with. I think if I move it a little that will go away. The receiver is an ICOM 756 with all the filters installed. I also have an MFJ active antenna mounted about 75 feet from the house and screwed to the back of an abandoned Direct TV dish. about 5 feet off the ground. It is feeding into the house on RG-8 thatâs used to connected to a HF6B vertical. Comparing the 2 right now I would give the edge to the semi-loop. The 756 is in my HAM shack with lots of computers and Radios and wall warts for most of the equipment. I might also mention that I am in a valley with a ground elevation of approximately 950 feet. To the south a 1/2 mile away is a 1300 foot hill, to the east is the valley with extremely high voltage power lines directly from a power station at about 1/3 mile. The valley runs to south west and north is another hill at 1600 feet about a mile a way. I guess what I am saying is that my open loop for lack of a better term works well all things considered.

Ham antenna wise I have a full sized Carolina Windom (off center fed dipole about 258 feet at 30 feet), a 6 band Log Periodic at 40 feet, a 43 foot ground mounted vertical with 40 32 foot radials, and a 60/30 meter dipole sloper with the apex at 30 feet along with a home made 6 meter 1/2 wave vertical, a 5 element 6 meter yagi at 40 feet, and a 5/8 wave 2 meter vertical. I have used the Windom and my main HAM Rig - an IC-7600 - for BCB DX and that combo seems to work well here as well.

Larry K8YYY

Once upon a time ---- it was earlier -

Shinnston, Northern Territories
Harrison County, West Virginia