[IRCA] Domestic MWDX to Enid OK, March 6-8, 2015

--- Begin Message ---
NOTE: instead of waiting until Thursday for my usual weekly report, since DST began amid this period, here are my logs BEFORE DST went into effect, to facilitate time-changing from UT to ``ELT`` as some publications require. All these logs are still 5 hours ahead of ELT. NOTE TOO; when changing times one must also change the dates for events in the 00-05 UT period to the previous date by ELT.

All times and dates strictly UT [5 hours ahead of `ELT`]. Rx: mostly DX-398 or PL-880 with internal antenna only; Nissan stock caradio as specified; FRG-7 with E/W longwire as specified

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

All my MW DX reports starting August 2011 are archived in this forum with open access:
http://forums.wtfda.org/showthread.php?6543-MW-DX-from-Enid-OK-by-Glenn-Hauser/page31

These logs are in four sections, Canada [if any], Oklahoma [if any], rest of USA, unidentified [if any], separated by ======= Within each, they are in frequency order

** OKLAHOMA. 1650, March 8 at 0228 UT, I think something`s amiss at KYHN. Normally our closest 1650 is the dominant signal at night, but I`m hearing mainly Spanish from CO/TX and English from IA. And it`s also been unnoticeable for a few nights. Is KYHN off or QRP? Maybe not applicable weekends, but previously during `Red Eye Radio` it would be // local 1640 and always a few words ahead of it. Further chex needed. Note: office and transmitter are in Sallisaw, OKLAHOMA, but most editors and other DXers seem to insist on attributing KYHN to mere city of license, Fort Smith, Arkansas (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

===========================

** U S A. 700, March 6 at 0602 UT, Spanish religion easily audible with WLW nulled, i.e. KHSE Wylie/The Metroplex TX whose major daylobe is aimed right at Cincinnati! Also may be day power 1500 instead of 920 watts night; KAZ was getting it near Chicago. I have it here easily on daytime groundwave (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 700, March 8 at 0250 UT, easily with WLW nulled, we still find Spanish, complacencias de alabanzas, child phoner from Tamaulipas (originally?) for someone in Dallas (note: never pronounced ``Dayas``), so KHSE Wylie is apparently still aiming for Cincinnati at night (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 720, March 7 at 0138 UT, WGN Chicago with conclusion of the ``Star Spangled Banner``, really belted out by an unID baritone with cheers, back-announced as preceded by ``O Canada``, as it`s a match involving the Edmonton Oilers, so a silly puck game presumably against the Blackhawks. This will have to do, as US NSP stations don`t bother to play Our National Anthem at local midnight or any other predictable time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 770, March 8 at 0248 UT, UNM promo in silly ballgame, score Lobos 36, Wyoming 33; not bigsig but sufficient from KKOB. At this angle we are faced with the usual quandary: is it the 50 kW main transmitter in Albuquerque`s North Valley (bane of balloonists), bleeding around its null toward WABC (assuming it`s in whack), or is it the 230-watt non-direxional nighttime filler in Santa Fe? Or both, which must be synchronized? Normal owner of 770 at night here is XEACH Monterrey but can be nulled for KKOBs, and not much from it now (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1100, March 7 at 1347 UT, outdoors show including ``conservation``, hunting, website http://www.bbkoradio.com so it`s Big Billy Kinder Outdoors. Site is overflowing with advertising; one heard on air is for a store in Cleburne and Weatherford TX, so it this TX? NW/SE DF, so I figure it`s really KNZZ Grand Junxion CO, now 50 kW day power from 1330 UT (April: 1245 UT), as the only 1100 Texan, KDRY in San Antonio is Christian teaching. Website shows BBKO flagship station is WBAP, distributed by Salem, and yes, KNZZ is on the roster, 6-8 am MT Saturdays (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1250, March 7 at 1332 UT and still at 1346 UT, open carrier, dead air looping NE/SW, surely the SRS and almost-daytime groundwave inhabitant, KYYS Kansas City KS, automation failed so La Equis isn`t so super when no one at or with the station is looking after it. The OC allows ESPN in English to be heard underneath, no doubt KZDC San Antonio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1350, March 8 at 0238 UT, after ``Cats`` song, ``The station that everyone at the office enjoys listening to, 1350 KRNT``, loops NE/SW, then C&W ``Forever in Blue Jeans``. KRNT is 5/5 kW U2 in Des Moines IA, as talk/nostalgia format in NRC AM Log 2014-2015. That slogan is not so applicable on Saturday nights! (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1400, March 7 at 0135 UT, Ad Council for Food Bank/Feeding America, then promo for Cornhuskers game mentioning KLIN twice --- so the 1 kW graveyarder in Lincoln NE, despite two closer Kansans on 1400 (plus 3 Okies); Lincoln city-to-city is 502 km = 312 miles, half a megameter, not bad.

And quite a surprise: I normally DX MW on the DX-398 which has better sensitivity and tighter nulling than the PL-880, but the `398 batteries just died so I switch to the PL-880, and discover that its selectivity is better so that I can get DX on a channel adjacent to strongest local 1390 KCRC, even without nulling KCRC! Unthinkable on the DX-398. A few minutes earlier at 0133 UT when I was nulling KCRC, almost sounded like some Spanish on 1400: in adjacent states, only 3 or 4 of the 13 Texans are SS (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1550, March 7 at 1322 UT, ``Cape Radio 100.3 News-Talk`` thru the CCI including Branson/Springfield a minute later. So this is KAPE Cape Girardeau MO again, which has a 100.3 translator (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** U S A. 1680, Sunday March 8 at 0701 UT, with KRJO LA nulled, can barely make out WPRR MI with Ralph Nader, maybe a guest, or his own show on Public Reality Radio (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

--- End Message ---