From: <anakephalaiosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:38:46 +0000
To: LOD@xxxxxxxxxx

Subject: RE: Parallel lists?

Konstantin Gredeskoul wrote:

> anakephalaiosis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> >
> > We'd like to set up a read-only list here and
> > put those saved archives in it, and we'd like to tie our
> > present subscriber list to it, so that someone subscribed
> > to one would have access to the other and someone unsubscribing
> > from one would automatically be unsubscribed from the other.
> >
> > Can this be done?  If so, how?
>
> Virginia - not easily.
>
> You could theoretically create a list on Topica without any
> subscribers, then email each messages from your archive to
> the list (which would populate the archives), then when the
> archives are done, import your subscribers.  This way, your
> subscribers will automatically see the old archives with one
> caveat - dates of the messages in the archives would
> probably not be correct.
>
> As of this moment, Topica does not have any facility to
> import or export messages archives.
>
> Hope this helps,

Thanks.  I had a feeling that it wasn't an easy task to
contemplate.  We retrieved the Yahoogroups archives by
copying them one at a time into a Word document (not easy,
and I'm glad _I_ didn't have to do it, since there were
about 30,000 of them).  Setting up the archives here is
only one of the ideas we've discussed:  We're also talking
about creating a password-protected website and changing
the password at intervals.  The point, of course, is to
give current subscribers access to our history without
compromising the address/content privacy.

Virginia

------ End of Forwarded Message ------