[Swprograms] Quirks and Quarks This Weekend

[Swprograms] Quirks and Quarks This Weekend

Hello,

This Week on Quirks & Quarks our feature item is:

"The State of Statins."

They're the new pharmaceutical superstars. Last year alone, Canadians
popped these pills to the tune of one-and-a-half billion dollars. The
reason is simple: statins are the most effective drug for lowering
cholesterol. And that means lowering your risk of heart disease and
stroke. Now new research shows that statins might also be an effective
treatment for a range of diseases, from Alzheimer's to MS. And last
week,  Britain became to first country to allow the sale of statins
over-the-counter. But critics say we don't know enough about their
long-term effects, and we're selling false promises to the aging and
the obese.

Plus - Rin Tin Tin's doggone genes ...

All this and more on Quirks & Quarks,  Saturday right after the noon
news on Radio One.

Bob McDonald
Host
____