E-mail message

Sender: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
mikewb@xxxxxxxxxxxx(Mike Barraclough) Date: Sun, Jun 13, 2004, 10:04am
(EDT+5) To: swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: [Swprograms] Re: RIAA
fears digital radio napstering Reply to: swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Shortwave programming discussion)
This message is not marked with a green dot  in your Mail list because
it is not from a known sender. To make this a known sender, choose one
of these links:
? Add sender to Address book
? Add sender to approved senders list
Joel Rubin <jmrubin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote
The music industry, which has been cracking down on people who download
copyrighted music from the Internet, wants the FCC to make it just as
illegal to take copyrighted music from the radio. The Recording Industry
Association of America (RIAA) says radio taping could become an even
bigger problem than Internet downloading and file-swapping once radio
stations complete their now-embryonic shift to digital transmission.
This is already starting to become a feature of DAB digital radios in
the UK. Pure has just launched a radio called The Bug described as the
VCR for Radio
http://www.simplyradios.net
It has the ability to pause, rewind and record live radio. Their
marketing brochure I picked up at a high street store clearly targets
music recording:
"If you need that track even though it's almost over don't panic. Just
rewind and hit record**. Playback your recordings or MP3s on your Bug or
convert them to MP3 on your PC for playback anywhere."
Look at the bottom and the ** says for personal use only. The rewind
function is for 5-12 minutes depending on the bit rate of the
transmission. The radio has a USB connector. It also has a sound card
slot and you can buy sound cards of various sizes. This then enables you
to use the nine event timer record function which works on a time signal
which is transmitted by DAB digital radio.
Roberts has a model coming out with the same features except the timer
is single event.
XFM, which is an indie rock station with a sizeable UK audience amongst
18-24 year olds, has announced is going to badge, promote and sell a DAB
dgital radio around Christmas with a rewind and record function. Most of
the bands it plays are not on major labels or unsigned and the station
also features a lot of live sessions and gigs.
Presumbaly DRM receivers could be made with similar features?
Now I am old enough to remember buying vinyl and seeing Home Taping is
Killing Music with a skull and crossbones logo on the inner sleeves!
Mike
URL shown above.