Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

At 05:43 AM 10/1/04 -0400, Richard Cuff wrote:

>Should the US government block our access to RHC and CRI because Radio Marti
>and RFA are jammed?
>
>We shortwave listeners would howl in protest.

The FCC is doing exactly that.  They are trying to get private industry to operate a broadband, geographically dispersed series of jamming transmitters mounted on telephone poles all over the country.  The jammers will use the power lines to conduct and radiate the jamming signals into shortwave receivers at no cost to the government.  As the Brits would say, "brilliant".  They call it BPL.  We did howl.  On October 14 I am afraid we will see that our howls have been ignored.  That is when the draft proposed BPL rules will be presented to the full Commission for adoption.  The scuttlebut from Washington is they will only protect Coast Guard and air traffic control frequencies.  I guess we will all have to become utility DXers.

I agree with you Richard.  Anyone who does not want to watch CCTV or does not want it coming into their homes can just not watch it or even set up channel blocking to prevent it.  Maryanne, please do not allow your private war with the Chinese government to deprive others of the opportunity to learn more about a people who will soon become either our major ally or major opponent.  I would prefer they become an ally but that will require that we understand what they believe in and how they think.  There are always two sides to any dispute and the only way we can expect to resolve such disputes peacefully is to engage in open communications.  That is what CCTV is attempting to do in my opinion.

Joe Buch