Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

Joe, many thanks for your response. Will all due respect, I must differ.
It's not a "private war" as you have put it, but it's a communication
rights issue that affects all of us as hobbyists. I have diligently
worked hard for the past 3 years on my platform of journalists' freedoms
to report, and China is one of the countries that does *not* give it's
radio people that freedom to disseminate info out of the country as they
see fit. *That* is the objection that I have to CCTV coming into the US
and setting up shop. Various organisations such as Reporters Without
Borders, and the Asia Desk of Human Rights Watch, plus the International
Sports Press Association have acknowledged the problems that are _still_
happening on the Mainland.

At the conclusion of the 2004 Olympics, there was a call *again* for the
Chinese government to "keep to the promises they made in Moscow" 3 years
ago. This request was made by many human rights organisations all over
the world including Amnesty International in London. Also various rights
groups in Hong Kong have also acknowledged the Amnesty request. At the
2001 Fest, Rich and John graciously accommodated my request to place
literature on the "free table' about the communications-related issues
in regards to the 2008 Olympic bid (this was also the year we had
several CRI reps attend the Fest. They could have easily said no, said
something like "we would not want to offend or make these people
uncomfortable", but I presented reasons why I thought this info should
be available to hobbyists *to make up their own mind one way or
another*, (along with a disclaimer that this was not related to the Fest
in any way, which I agreed to do.)

My point being, is we can *not* trust the Chinese.....period. Ever since
the Communists took over the mainland, every successive US President has
tried and tried to get the government over there to open up to no avail.
Despite what the Chinese say about having open lines of communication, I
bet one of my friends who would go to the mainland and try to do a story
about, say, the Falung Gong (among other concerns) would get quite a
cold reception----or worse.

I would much rather have BBC World, or DW TV or some other network on
the system that I know would give me a balanced view of things. CCTV is
no different.

It's not a "private war"----it's a _human rights issue_ that will only
get *worse* until we as hobbyists step up to the plate and hold China
accountable.

Respectfully,

Maryanne

E-mail message

Sender: swprograms-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx From:
joseph.buch@xxxxxxx(Joe Buch) Date: Fri, Oct 1, 2004, 7:59am To:
swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shortwave programming discussion) Subject:
Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9 Reply to:
swprograms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Shortwave programming discussion)