Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

Re: [Swprograms] CCTV International CCTV-9

All this talk of "tit-for-tat" reminds me of the old-school "code of
Hamurabi".

Hamurabi died blind and toothless...see code numbers 196 and 200 at
http://www.unesco.org/delegates/iraq/hamurabi.htm.

I agree with John & Joe -- we have to espouse the "moral high ground" when
it comes to communications.

Joe's examples of cultural and legal differences are also spot on; I agree
that continued dialogue on an economic level helps to enable two-way
dialogue at the ideological level as well.

Also keep in mind that matters of governmental communications policy are
driven by Beijing, and much of the modernization of China in deed and word
is happening far from Beijing, down in southern China.

Many of those in positions of business management and influence are very
"Western" in their ideological thinking already, despite the edicts from
Beijing.

Perhaps more insidious than China is Singapore.  It, too, has a highly
restricted media, yet the country would largely be considered a success when
it comes to the health, welfare and opportunity afforded its citizens.

Contined respecfully,

Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA