[Swprograms] [BBC | Team 'replaces' Alastair Cooke's Letter]

[Swprograms] [BBC | Team 'replaces' Alastair Cooke's Letter]

----- Forwarded message from say@xxxxxx -----
Subject: BBC NEWS | Entertainment | TV and Radio | Team 'replaces' Cooke's Letter

   BBC NEWS

   Team 'replaces' Cooke's Letter

   A team of eight journalists have joined BBC Radio 4 for a new
   programme which "replaces" the late Alistair Cooke's Letter From
   America.

   A View From... features each reporter's take on the latest news and
   trends in their own part of the world.

   The show, which includes reporters in the US, Australia, China,
   Brazil, South Africa, India, and the Caribbean, will air in Cooke's
   8.50pm Friday slot.

   Cooke died in March aged 95, just weeks after retiring from the radio
   series.

   Pulitzer Prize

   A spokesman for the BBC said the new series would run over the coming
   weeks but added that "no decision" had been taken about the long-term
   future of Letter from America.

   The sole US journalist on the A View From... team is Tim Egan, the
   Pulitzer Prize-winning Seattle correspondent of the New York Times.

   His contributions will alternate with those of Therese Mills, editor
   of Trinidad and Tobago newspaper Newsday, Australian writer Sarah
   MacDonald, Chinese journalist Lin Gu, and the author of New Voices of
   Islam, Farish Noor.

   AllAfrica.com correspondent Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, Indian magazine
   editor Vinod Mehta and InfoBrazil.com's editor Adhemar Altieri
   complete the line-up.

   Sole successor

   Producer Jennie Walmsley said she thought opting for a panel of
   presenters was the right way to follow the legacy of Cooke, whose
   broadcasting career lasted 58 years.

   "If we had chosen a single successor, he or she would be forever
   compared to Alistair Cooke," she said.

   The BBC spokesman added: "We will, over coming weeks, run a variety of
   contributors from across the globe in a new series called A View From,
   which will occupy the same slot as Letter from America.

   "We are giving the situation much thought and it currently remains
   undecided as we consider how best to serve the network's audience."
--------
   Story from BBC NEWS:
   http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4015863.stm
   Published: 2004/11/16 14:04:20 GMT