[Swprograms] Re: OT: FM, Sirius and RCI (was: Re: RCI Receptionagain...)

At 04:33 AM 1/22/05 -0500, rmonty23 wrote:

>I found it.  88.1 WNJN out of Bridgeton, NJ, at 9 pm, one hour of As it
>happens.  I finally managed to remember to check the FM band for CBC.
>Appears to be a special program of "As it Happens" for American Media in the
>US.  Still perfer shortwave.
>Bob Montgomery

The New Jersey Network web site shows 88.1 MHz is licensed to WNJT in Trenton, NJ.

That is quite close to Northeastern Philadelphia so I was puzzled as to why it would not be heard there.  I got my answer when I looked at the technical details on this station.  It runs 110 Watts vertical polarization.  The height of their antenna is pretty decent at 689 feet above average terrain.  I would try a vertically polarized 10 element yagi pointed at Trenton, NJ.  Their coverage map shows their fringe contour including Willow Grove and NE Philadelphia.  This is probably the station Bob heard on 88.1 MHz.  Their local grade coverage contour almost reaches Levittown.  The reason they must run such low power is that they must protect channel 6 TV in Philadelphia.

Technical info source: <http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/home>.  Enter WNJT in the call sign block and click GO.

73,

Joe Buch