[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-01-23

[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-01-23

Hello all,
The International Radio Report has been uploaded onto our archive site:
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport
73 and happy listening,
Ricky

-----[ MAIN PAGE ]-----
http://http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport

-----[ STREAMING AUDIO FILES (left click) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050123-8kps.ram
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050123-16kps.ram

-----[ DOWNLOAD AUDIO FILES (right-click, save link/target as) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050123-8kps.rm
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050123-16kps.rm

-----[ THIS WEEK'S TEXT-ONLY SUMMARY ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries/2005-01-23.html

-----[ ARCHIVE OF TEXT-ONLY SUMMARIES ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries

=====[ IN THIS WEEK'S PROGRAM ]=====

Special guest: Steven Jones, ex-CKUT radio host

- CRTC approves station swap in Quebec between Astral and Corus
 > Previous agreement was worth $11 million, nust be signed within 30 days
 > Commission imposes condition on hours of local programming upon Corus
 > CKAC must provide 40 hours of local programming now, increasing gradually to
80 hours by 2009
 > RadioMedia network stations must provide 27 hours of local programming now,
increasing gradually to 37 hours by 2009

- Michael Powel resigns as chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission

- Ham radio operators launch public service campaign
 > Increase awareness among general population
 > CLIPS HERE:
http://www.eham.net/articles/10061?ehamsid=3f6481694e68881c32a23acfc02513b6

- Severe geomagnetic storms this week
 > 4 X-class flare and 5 M-class flares
 > Propagation severely degraded

- "Yosemite Sam" digital burst returned
 > Heard on 5 and 10 MHz, WWV/WWVH frequencies

- FCC delivers $10,000 fine for RF exposure to tower worker
 > Cumulus Communications and Infinity Broadcasting targeted

- Hotel Rwanda includes RTLM hate-propaganda station

- Internews Network sends suitcase-size radio station to tsunami-affected areas
 > Can broadcast to village-size regions
 > Worth $5,000 to $6,000 each
 > Powered by large batteries, but airlines would allowed those to be shipped

-30-