[Swprograms] VOR: What's New

LIFE AS IT IS

The Voice of Russia World Service begins a new series of programs called
LIFE AS IT IS. In it we'll be talking about life philosophies and life
values, family problems and conflicts, parental love and love of the
spiritual. In a word, we'll talk of things people tend to keep deep
inside themselves and are often embarrassed to talk about. Share your
story with us or learn from the experience of others in LIFE AS IT IS
with Tamara Murzina.

OUR HOMELAND
(on the air from Monday, March 21)

Those interested in Russian history are welcome to tune in to the "Voice
of Russia World Service" for a story about the reign of the Russian
Emperor Nicholas the First. It was quite by chance that he found himself
at the helm of the country, and he ascended the throne amid an attempted
coup that went down in history as the Decembrist uprising.
The program can be heard at 0930 and 2030 UTC on Mondays with repeats
throughout the week. Our program schedule can be found at:
http://www.vor.ru/ep.html

MUSIC AROUND US

The next edition of "Music Around Us" will focus on the 60th anniversary
of the Great Victory over Nazism. We shall play songs composed during
the hard years of the war that the Soviet people fought against Nazi
Germany. Our listeners have also developed a liking for these songs. One
of the more popular songs of that time is "Katiusha", requested by Janko
Martin Bystricka of Australia. But, of course, we shall play other Great
Patriotic War songs, too. So, tune in to another program of "Music
Around Us" on Tuesday, March 15, at 0530, 1530, 1830, and 2130 UTC. It
will be repeated on Thursday, March 17, at 1530 UTC, and on Friday,
March 18, at 06.30 UTC. We wish you all good listening.

RUSSIA. 1000 YEARS OF MUSIC.

Russian music admirers have now got a unique chance to enjoy a complete
encyclopedia of Russian music at home with a set of recordings to go
with it.
The series "RUSSIA. 1000 YEARS OF MUSIC" invites you to savour the
treasure.
In our next program ? on the air as of March 10 - we continue to
present the Golden Age in the history of Russian music ? the 18th
century. We offer you another program devoted to Dmitry Bortnyansky, the
recordings of his best works and those that came up in the archives of
Europe and Russia quite recently.
The program can be heard at 1730 and 1930 UTC on Thursdays and at 0430
UTC on Fridays. Stay tuned.

* * *

Dear Sir/Madam,
In 2005 the world marks the 60th anniversary of the Anti-Hitler
Coalition countries' Victory in the Second World War. The war against
the "Nazi plague" was the greatest tragedy of the 20th century, with
dozens of millions of people having fallen victim to it. The war, the
fiercest one in war history, called into question the very existence of
humanity. "That was the war to end all wars", wrote a listener in
California George Poppin, a Second World War veteran. We would be
interested to know your opinion, too.
The Voice of Russia World Service would be grateful, if you answered the
following questions of our V-Day survey:
1. What do you think provoked the Second World War?
2. What battles would you describe as the key battles?
3. Who do you think were the most prominent military leaders of the
Second World War and why?
4. What do you know about the war that the Soviet Union fought against
Nazi Germany? What was the Soviet Union's contribution to defeating
Nazism?
5. Why is it important specifically today to remember and discuss the
lessons taught by that war? Do you think a Nazi revival is a possibility
today?
6. Do you think the mass media gives sufficient coverage to the Second
World War, in general, and to fighting on the Eastern Front, in
particular?
Please, send in your letters with the "Second World War" mark to: the
Voice of Russia World Service, Moscow, Russia, or E-mail your answers
to: world@xxxxxx We'll accept your messages until September 1, 2005.
The most interesting answers will be included in our broadcasts and
posted on the World Service web site.
Thank you for your cooperation.

  Copyright © 2003 The Voice of Russia