[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

[Swprograms] Re: Why is BBC World Service reducing its short wave provision?

Jonathan:

If you say that shortwave receiver sales are down, then they're down.

But I'm not disputing the fact that there are more ways to reach more
people than ever before.  Neither am I denying that it's a genuine
challenge trying to figure out how to leverage all these methods
intelligently and effectively.  All I'm saying is that is unnecessary
for the BBC to totally abandon shortwave to any region.  Here in NA,
e.g., we have plenty of very cheap excess shortwave transmitter
capacity.  And the content on most of them is pitiful.  An owner would
jump at the chance to relay the BBC for a few hours a day.  All it
would take is one frequency in the morning and another in the evening.
Sure, it may not be to the BBC's once lofty standards in this regard,
but Antigua wasn't performing all that well for some time.  And
flexibility is a necessity in this era.

So, if I can't be home by my computer, or in a wi-fi served cafe, or in
my Sirius-served vehicle, I can still hear the BBC if I want.  As for
the "serving the whole world because it's a public service broadcaster"
argument, I'm just differentiating between the theory behind and
mission of a commercial broadcaster and that of a public service
broadcaster.  Those, unfortunately, appear to be collapsing and my
feeble efforts to remind about the subtle but real differences between
the two are falling on mostly deaf ears. A lost cause--you might say.

Good to hear from you on this.

John