[Swprograms] CRI

> John Figliozzi <jfiglio1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote Mike

> For one thing, I don't think that CRI and the Chinese Communist Party are one
> and the same.

It's a Government broadcaster, they fund it and give it its mission, and the
use of all distributions services for its mission was part of a Party
directive which is why my contention is the words are interchangeable in the
sentence of yours I quoted. I would suspect its structure is similar to that
of Soviet era Eastern European international broadcasters staffed by both
Communist Party Officials and journalists.

Here is a report I carried in the January 2002 DX News column I edit for
World DX Club Contact:

CHINA Chinese Communist Party propaganda chief Dian Guangen has called on
China Radio International, when speaking at its 60th anniversary
celebrations, to become more competitive, speed up reform and raise its
international profile. Convergence and technological innovation, Ding said,
were vital for CRI's survival as an international broadcaster. Therefore,
Ding said CRI should integrate its shortwave, mediumwave, FM and online
services. Ding stressed that CRI's main role was to promote "positive
propaganda" about China and serve as a mouthpiece of the party and the
people. (New China News Agency via DXLD)
I am so disappointed. I thought it was a genuine friendly station. From the
above (DXLD also printed the full speech) we now know it is admittedly
nothing but a propaganda outlet of the party. (Glenn Hauser, DXLD)

I have traced the original long speech which is in DXLD 1-192 available at

http://www.angelfire.com/ok/worldofradio/dxld1192.txt

Mike