[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-03-27

[Swprograms] Int'l Radio Report 2005-03-27

Hello all,
The International Radio Report has been uploaded onto our archive site:
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport

**PLEASE NOTE** I recently learned about a new job I will be starting in
Calgary, Alta. This means that, for the moment, this will be the last
International Radio Report summary/audio archive I will be producing. It has
been a pleasure to do this almost every Sunday for the last five years or so.
And who knows, this service may resume one day.
What already exists online will remain. Perhaps I will eventually post some
"best of" IRR there (including such popular editions of the show as the
radio-resource program that aired in November), but I have to take care of
moving and settling down in my new home first.
For audio archives, I invite you to take advantage of the CKUT audio archive
page. It is good for listeners who have a decent computer and a relatively fast
connection (MP3 format at 32, 64 and 128 kbps).
http://www.ckut.ca/archives.php

73 and happy listening,
Ricky

-----[ MAIN PAGE ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport

-----[ STREAMING AUDIO FILES (left click) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050327-8kps.ram
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050327-16kps.ram

-----[ DOWNLOAD AUDIO FILES (right-click, save link/target as) ]-----
(LO) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050327-8kps.rm
(HI) http://www.vif.com/users/rleong/radioreport/radioreport-050327-16kps.rm

-----[ THIS WEEK'S TEXT-ONLY SUMMARY ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries/2005-03-27.html

-----[ ARCHIVE OF TEXT-ONLY SUMMARIES ]-----
http://mediajct.homeip.net/radioreport/summaries

=====[ IN THIS WEEK'S PROGRAM ]=====
- BBC faces more than 2,000 job cuts

- Glenn Hauser calls this the Week of Confusion:
 > Europe has switched to Daylight Savings Time; North America switches next week
 > Keep up with radio schedules on http://www.primetimeshortwave.com

- Radio Vlaanderen goes off the air
 > Staff said bye in many languages
 > Played My Way in Flemish
 > Finished with Don't Cry For Me Argentina, then open carrier for 10 minutes

- Zimbabwean expatriates have broadcasts jammed
 > Switching to other shortwave frequencies, also trying medium wave
 > Internet is only available in pay-per-use, out of reach
 > Jamming equipment imported from China

- Jerry Springer starts on Air America April 1
 > 45 of 51 stations will air program
 > Might be thinking of establishing his legacy

- HBO to broadcast docu-drama called Left of the Dial
 > Ugly business of commercial radio

- Hyundai choses XM Satellite radio a standard feature
 > Sirius announces its availability on Jaguar, Land Rover
 > Companies going after larger subscriber base

- Eton will be selling E1-XM by May 2005
 > Will include AM, FM, LW, SW and XM

- Palestinian radio station scheduled to play Hebrew song for the first time

- Radio Shack wants Canadian subsidiary to stop using the brand name
 > Licensee InterTAN Inc. was purchased by Circuit City, a Radio Shack competitor

-30- -30- -30-