[Swprograms] Re: What does it mean to be a public service international broadcaster?

[Swprograms] Re: What does it mean to be a public service international broadcaster?

I think the fault found--at least from this writer--was with the
evident confusion of the two concepts.  Or maybe the more correct
description would be a sloppy merger of the two that fails to
understand the subtle, but real differences between the two
orientations.

As I alluded to in an earlier communication, it has become almost a
lazy indulgence today to call every human endeavor a "business" and
then to somehow cobble all of the rationale and terminology associated
with that characterization on things that don't lend themselves to that
kind of discipline.

People are always looking for their own form of "unified field theory",
but doing so belies the world's complexities and the requirement for
rigorous and diligent stewardship that changes with the underlying
circumstances.

In the case of what we have known as "public broadcasting", whatever
consensus once existed to support, nurture and justify such an
enterprise doesn't seem to be there any longer---at least not in
sufficient quantity or quality to protect it and allow it to develop
further along those "traditiional" lines.

John Figliozzi
Halfmoon, NY

PS: If this makes no sense to you, blame it on the hour and my recent
considerable travel.  :-))