Re: [Swprograms] Sirius commits to the CRTC

Re: [Swprograms] Sirius commits to the CRTC

> Sirius was required to commit within 150 days of the CRTC's decision
> regarding its willingness to abide by the CRTC's license terms.  They
> formally accepted those terms today.  3 of the 4 French language
> channels will be music channels; Sirius states that's equivalent to 16
> "conventional" French language radio stations.
>
> The only impediment (I believe) is whether or not the Heritage
> Ministry challenges the CRTC decision that authorized Sirius; that
> deadline is September 14.  The government has not challenged CRTC
> decisions in recent years.
>
> Of course, it's somewhat of a pyrrhic victory for us in North America
> salivating for easier access to CBC Radio One...since there is very
> little on Radio One right now due to the lockout.
>
> The PR from Sirius can be read here:
> http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/September2005/06/c6329.html
>
> Richard Cuff / Allentown, PA  USA

	And some shallow analysis stories from Jane Taber,
	overseen by a brainier reporter on the issue at:

   Linkname: The Globe and Mail: Top cabinet ministers debate the fate
          of satellite radio

and a second story at
	   Linkname: The Globe and Mail: Digital airwaves cloud Cancon's future