Re: [Swprograms] BPL developments

> I just received todays "Free Press" news. In it is a very
> interesting story how the FCC is going to be auctioning
> off a large swath of the soon to be old analog TV 700MHz
> frequencies.

All TV frequencies in the USA above channel 51 will go away
when analog transmission ceases in 2009.  The frequencies
will be auctioned off but some expansion of emergency comm
frequencies is expected to relieve congestion in the 800 MHz
range and to allow new channels that will allow
interoperability between services.

BPL is not in the picture as far as I know.  The frequencies
are way too high to propagate efficiently.

Some VHF channels will be opened up as duplicate analog and
digital stations will no longer be required.  For example, I
have heard via the grapevine that channel 6 in Philadelphia
will go to exclusively a UHF frequency.  That will open up
some new station opportunities in the
Philadelphia/Wilmington market for FM stations and
translators at the low end of the FM band.  Presently FM
stations must protect channel 6 from interference which
limits the amount of power FM stations can use at the low
end of the band within the channel 6 protected contour.

BPL might be able to make use of some of these vacated VHF
frequencies, but the National Association of Broadcasters
took a dim view of using VHF TV allocations when NASWA first
suggested the idea during the FCC "deliberations" on BPL.
The word "deliberations" is in quotes because in my opinion
the entire process was a sham.  The FCC had their minds made
up by the White House and the solicitation of comments was
simply an exercise required by law to give the appearance of
due process.

ARRL has taken the BPL issue and the FCC's lack of
enforcement action to the courtroom.  I hope they can make
some headway.

73,

Joe Buch
N2JB