Re: [Swprograms] [Internetradio] Radio Australia

John,

In regards to the ABC, I'll disagree that this is purely ideological, but rather
is wrapped in the internal politics of Australia. NewsCorp has been seething for
several years now over the handling of the tender for the rights to operate the
Australia Network TV service.

My take is this: The Liberal government under John Howard had a mixed
relationship with NewsCorp and didn't give them the chance to run the service
when it launched as they had wanted. When the Labor government took power under
Kevin Rudd in 2007, they promised to complete an open rights tender process for
the TV service. In the first round of tender, NewsCorp won the rights but the
courts determined the government mishandled it and threw it out. It then landed
in the middle of the feuds between Julia Gilliard and Rudd over control of the
Labor party and eventually when it was re-bid, the ABC won over NewsCorp. Ever
since NewsCorp has been determined to hit back at the ABC and by throwing
political support behind Abbott and his campaign in 2013 is now getting
"payment" for that support.

This is political. While ideological reasons might seem to be explanation here
that's not the driving force IMHO. It's just convenient cover for Abbott. After
all, every poll I've seen suggests that the Australians across all political
persuasions support the ABC to some degree or another and it is essential in
rural Australia where the Liberal-National coalition is strong.

--
-Rob de Santos