[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 5

Podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I "plod along" in my regular exercise regimen.  Perhaps you might as well.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
Taking the Mid-Year National Temperature
Time to take stock of the many political, economic and cultural issues currently facing Australians. Clive Palmer has being described as the saviour of the ETS, we're about to welcome a new Senate in Canberra, we're out of the World Cup, and we have reports of corruption erupting from all our institutions, including banks, parliaments and the Church.  (55')
[A personal note:  Nothing takes place in isolation, especially in our globalized environment today.  I respectfully suggest that observing how other nations handle similar issues can be both useful and instructive when one considers how one's own might best approach them.]
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/taking-the-national-temperature/5551844

IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Hildegard of Bingen
Melvyn Bragg and his guests discuss one of the most remarkable figures of the Middle Ages, Hildegard of Bingen. The abbess of a Benedictine convent, Hildegard experienced a series of mystical visions which she documented in her writings. She was an influential person in the religious world and much of her extensive correspondence with popes, monarchs and other important figures survives. Hildegard was also celebrated for her wide-ranging scholarship, which as well as theology covered the natural world, science and medicine. Officially recognised as a saint by the Catholic Church in 2012, Hildegard is also one of the earliest known composers. Since their rediscovery in recent decades her compositions have been widely recorded and performed.  (45')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047c312