[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 10

These are some podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

------------------------------

THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
Diversity, Changes to BBC Radio 5 Live and Facebook Controlling Emotions
Radio 5 Live has announced that three of their main presenters - Richard Bacon, Victoria Derbyshire and Shelagh Fogarty - are to leave the station in the autumn. Adrian Chiles and Tony Livesey are to get expanded roles. Although there will be no shortage of female co-presenters on the station, Eleanor Oldroyd's one-hour Friday afternoon show will be the only programme fronted solely by a woman. Jonathan Wall, Controller 5 Live, talks about the changes.  Act For Change, a project designed to address the lack of diversity in British television was launched this week with both ITV and the BBC in attendance. It comes after the BBC Director General announced plans to increase representation of Black, Asian or ethnic minority groups (BAME) on and off screen.  Facebook has revealed that it manipulated the news feeds of nearly 700,000 unknowing, randomly selected users in a psychological study, to determine how positive and negative emotions can spread on social media. The study, which has just come to light, has sparked outrage from some people and the Information Commissioner's Office is looking into it.  (25')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047zrkx

LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
Youth Mental Illness/United States of Amnesia/History of the Irish in Australia
How will the federal government's planned shake-up of the disability welfare system affect youth with mental illness?  An intimate documentary has been made about the life and legacy of author, pundit, playwright and would-be politician, the late Gore Vidal.  In 1835, 250 Irish convicts were lucky to survive the shipwreck of their vessel, the Hive. Yet this group of Irish went onto make significant contributions to the development of Australia. (54')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/past-programs/?page=2

UNDER THE INFLUENCE - CBC Radio One
Brand Envy
It might be because the brand broke new ground, or has managed to stay #1, or just because it has been a part of our lives for so long. With that in mind, we'll celebrate a certain mac & cheese that has been with us since 1937, a TV show that broke ground in 1969, a condiment that has been #1 for over 100 years, and the most successful movie franchise of all time. (25')
http://www.cbc.ca/undertheinfluence/