[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 12

These are some podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

------------------------------

THE PHILOSOPHER'S ZONE - ABC Radio National
Mind the Brain
Neuroscience might have banished dualist notions of mind and body but it seems that M. Descartes’ 350 year-old hunch will not go away. What hasn’t helped is the log-jam of schemes trying to explain the dreaded ‘c’ word. The race is on to build a brain, but the deeper neuroscientists dig into the soggy grey matter the more elusive consciousness becomes.  It needn’t be according to leading philosopher of mind David Papineau. If only we could accept some deceptively simple advice. (25')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/philosopherszone/mind-the-brain/5500818

BEST OF THE WEEK - Radio New Zealand
July 25, 2014
Highlights from Radio New Zealand National's programmes for the week ending Friday 25 July. This week......from mining to tourism - the West Coast attracting visitors; will Sky TV maintain its dominance in Pay TV?; taking the story of a mentally ill speed chess champion and turning it into a movie "The Dark Horse"; Lance Armstrong and his lies; using the Flora Finder app for botanic answers; welcoming an adopted dog to your family; the box set release of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's 1974 stadium tour; pottery collector Jeff on what makes a collection unique; amateur sleuths doing DIY CSI and making hospital visits easier for non-English speaking patients.  (86')
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/bestoftheweek/audio/20143094/best-of-the-week-25-july-2014

My preferences tend toward documentaries and other spoken word fare that carries a longer shelf life than current affairs programming, for example.  This is because my exercise regimen consists of vigorous walking three or four times a week amounting to about 10-12 km over a 90-120 minute span.

John Figliozzi
The Worldwide Listening Guide - 6th edition now available
wwlgonline.com