[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 14

These are some podcasts from international and public radio sources that I've found particularly interesting and edifying as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.

In addition to via the websites referenced, these podcasts generally are made available through several other popular internet sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

------------------------------

THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
The Walk
Why do we go on long walks? Aside from the seemingly obvious health benefits of exercise, what is it about walking which has had such long-lasting appeal? The German film director Herzog described walking as “spiritual” whilst Charles Dickens used walking to plot his novels. From the German tradition of the wandern to urban street walking, it seems we’ve always gone on long walks for reasons other than necessity. Why? Mike Williams puts on his walking boots and goes in search of answers. (18')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023276l
(Given the genesis of this Podding Along series, this one somehow seems an especially appropriate selection.)

RADIOLAB - WNYC New York Public Radio
Galapagos
The strange story of a small group of islands that raise a big question: is it inevitable that even our most sacred natural landscapes will eventually get swallowed up by humans? And just how far are we willing to go to stop that from happening?  We are dedicating a whole hour to the Galapagos archipelago, the place that inspired Darwin’s theory of evolution and natural selection. 179 years later, the Galapagos are undergoing rapid changes that continue to pose -- and possibly answer -- critical questions about the fragility and resilience of life on Earth. (63')
http://www.radiolab.org/story/galapagos/

THIS AMERICAN LIFE - WBEZ Chicago Public Media
Got Your Back
There is a special comfort that comes from knowing someone's got your back. You can do things that just weren't possible before. You take huge risks, including some that aren't necessarily advisable. This week: stories where one person's powerlessness is transformed when they discover they have backup. And we see what happens when that backup goes away.  (60')
http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/531/got-your-back