[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 22

These are some radio program podcasts on eclectic subjects from various sources that I've found particularly interesting, edifying and diverting as I'm "plodding along" in my regular exercise regimen.  In addition to the websites referenced, these podcasts generally also are made available through some other sources, such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Enjoy!

----------------

"Into the Light"
FUTURE TENSE - ABC Radio National/Radio Australia
Author Paul Bogard worries that weâre losing our sense of darkness, that our taste for banishing the night is turning Earth into the planet that never sleeps. In Europe and North America the amount of light in the night sky continues to increase by around six per cent a year.  But new forms of lighting technology â LEDs in particular â promise a more sophisticated and controlled approach to urban illumination: street lights that sense our presence and automatically adjust the brightness around us; and responsive computer lighting systems that turn illumination into a distinctive architectural feature, not just an urban utility.
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/into-the-light/6276690

"The Forum at the Space for Thought Festival: Shaking Up Foundations"
THE FORUM - BBC World Service
Author and columnist Will Self, evolutionary biologist Armand Leroi, international relations expert Leslie Vinjamuri and stand-up comic and mathematician, Matt Parker challenge the established foundations of their fields in a lively discussion at the London School of Economics with presenter Bridget Kendall. (45')
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02l40d5

"Geoffrey Blainey - the rise and fall of ancient Australia; Getting plucked - a dangerous history of hair removal"
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National/Radio Australia
Professor Blainey has re-examined his previous works on Indigenous Australians and explains how heâs changed some long held views about Australiaâs past. His new book is called "The Story of Australiaâs People".  It's estimated that an American woman can spend up to $25,000 US during her lifetime just on waxing body parts, and 60 per cent of men now regularly reduce or remove body hair from areas below the neck. It wasn't until the mid 20th century that body hair came to be viewed as unhealthy, even filthy, and women were encouraged by the marketing of new products to remove superfluous bodily hair. Some of the remedies included X-Ray, the highly toxic thallium acetate, waxing with tree resin, and chemicals derived from the process of removing animal hair prior to slaughter. (55')
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/past-programs/?page=2  (scroll to "Tuesday 10 Mar 2015")