[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 29

This sporadic e-newsletter of program recommendations accessible by podcast arose from my own use of them while "working outâ, which for me consists of walking quite briskly for five miles at a time.  My personal tastes are eclectic and run toward non-commercial public service radio sources like the BBC, NPR, ABC (Australia), CBC, RTE and RNZ.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

ââ

âWhy Comedians Keep Coming Back to Stand-Upâ
THE DRAWING ROOM - ABC Radio National
For the last few years comedian Libbi Gorr has been flexing her funny bones at kindergarten fundraisers, but after long break she's decided to take the plunge into stand-up. She's found that 90's reference don't necessarily cut the mustard with the young punters attending comedy clubs these days. Fellow comedian Tony Martin has also found that you've got to pick your audience when telling jokes about turning fifty. They join Patricia Karvelas in The Drawing Room for a chat about milking motherhood and middle age for gags. (16â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/drawingroom/why-comedians-keep-coming-back-to-stand-up/6780884

ââWhy Do Humans Need So Much Space?â
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Some of us are content to surrender our personal space to serve on a submarine, while some of us struggle with claustrophobia. As we become more urban and the global population increases, we have to get used to having less space but some architects say we need more of it because it boosts our sense of wellbeing. Why do we have such a complicated relationship with the space we live in?  (18â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p031mxkr

â1606: The Year of Learâ
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
This year marks 400 years since the death of William Shakespeare. In his latest book, 1606, The Year of Lear, Shakespearian scholar James Shapiro describes what led to one of the most powerful plays ever performed.
Shapiro is Professor of English and Comparative Literature at Columbia University in New York and author of several books on Shakespeare's life and work.  (53â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/26th-january-2016/7098178

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com