Re: [Swprograms] the Wellbrook ALA100LN

I must wonder why you're endeavoring to replace your 80' wire when it seems to suit your needs. It's not like you're planning to transmit.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2016 at 7:26 PM, Paul B. Walker, Jr. <walkerbroadcasting@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
well, in buying this I have learned I don't like "projects", stuff I have to source parts for and then put together. Nothing is available locally, so it all has to be bought and shipped here to Alaska.

The ALA100LN has sat in the corner of my living room for weeks, unused with no progress made towards getting it up and working.

This is the antenna where you supply your own wire. I have the wire but no way to power the antenna. Where I DX is nowhere near power sources and trying to find the right parts, adapters and batteries to power it has proven to be useless, annoying and a complete waste of time as I can't find what I need

IÂneed 2 support structures, one to hang the top of the wire off, I've got that.. but no second support structure for it.

For the loop to be useful, it'd have to be 7-10 feet big here in Alaska and that's too big to be portable. I can't leave it in the trees or it'll be torn down.Â

And making the loop 7 to 10 feet big is too big for it to be portable and too big for me to carry it across the street and back home each time I use it.

I likely should've never bought the ALA100LN because I don't like "projects" where I have to put stuff together. I don't really have anyone here to help me with this stuff. I'm in a village of 500 people and we're the town/village for 250 miles.

I don't have the patience and attention span to deal with this any longer. When I buy something. I don't expect it to take weeks or months to get working.

Right now, I roll out my longwire on the ground whenÂI go outside for the night and roll it back up when I go inside. I can't leave it outside any longer as someone tore my old one down out of the trees and left it in a clump.

I wish the "pre made" wellbrook loops weren't so expensive($400 to $500US), I'd buy one of them, mount it on a wooden pole and call it a day.

So my advice is, for those who aren't handy/don't like projects/are a little impatient like me, stay away from the ALA100LN. It requires more parts then they will sell you and takes time to figure out and put together. Not worth it.

Such as it is.. I'll keep looking for some kind of loop I don't have to put together. The 80 foot long wire I've got right now seems to suit my needs

Paul