[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 47

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âSecrecy at Work, Drugs and Employmentâ
THINKING ALLOWED - BBC Radio 4
Laurie Taylor talks to Christopher Grey, Professor of Organization Studies at Royal Holloway, University of London, about his study into the secrecy which is woven into the fabric of our lives at work - from formal secrecy, as we see in the case of trade and state secrets based on law and regulation; informal secrecy based on networks and trust; and public or open secrecy, where what is known goes undiscussed.
Also, drug taking and employment: how does the UK anti drugs policy shape our concept of 'employable citizens'? Charlotte Smith, Lecturer in Management at the University of Leicester, argues that drug consumption, in neo liberal times, is positioned as the antithesis of economic potential.  (28â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07fg6tp

âPhilosopher Peter Singerâ
HARDtalk - BBC World Service
When we talk of power we think of tangible institutions, governments, armies, big business. But how about the power of ideas? From Socrates to Marx, philosophers have challenged us to rethink the way we see the world and our place in it. Stephen Sackur talks to Peter Singer, whose writing on the relations between rich and poor, on medical ethics and animal rights have seen him variously described as the most influential and dangerous philosopher alive today. Does he believe ideas can change the world?  (23â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03xdkqs

âHydrogen - H"
ELEMENTS - BBC World Service
Could we finally be about to crack this source of potentially unlimited clean energy - thanks in part to a plethora of private sector tech startups?  Laurence Knight travels to one such company, Tokamak Energy in the UK, to hear from plasma physicist Melanie Windridge. Meanwhile the BBC's David Willis reports on the string of secretive new fusion initiatives along the Pacific Coast, and the Silicon Valley money backing them. Plus, could fusion energy open the way to the economic abundance and space travel portrayed in Star Trek? Laurence speaks to Trekonomics author Manu Saadia.  (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03wnk4l

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com