[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 58

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âWildfiresâ
THE SCIENCE HOUR - BBC World Service
Wildfires have been hitting the headlines this year. But is the frequency and intensity of wildfires on the increase? Can science and mapping be used more globally to mitigate the devastation and understand the causes and effects? And will a warming climate mean bigger risk? Roland Pease talks to Marc-Andrà Parisien, a researcher with the Canadian Forest Service and Professor Andrew Scott from Royal Holloway, University of London.
Also:
GATEway Project
Self-driving, autonomous cars are on their way and the first fatality occurred just recently, causing worry for those behind the technology. But the hope is that they will one day make our journeys safer, faster and more environmentally friendly. But how will other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians react to a car that is driving its self? Will they be wary, or perhaps more pushy, knowing that in the end the driverless car will do everything it can to avoid a collision? The first UK trials that the public can take part in are just starting in an outdoor lab in London. The GATEway Project offers people the chance to ride in an autonomous car. Claudia Hammond got into the driverâs seat in a vehicle simulator at the Transport Research Laboratory in the south of England, to meet the chief scientist Dr Alan Stevens.
Musical Dissonance
We generally find the combination of notes in a consonant chord more pleasant to our ears than a dissonant one. The question is whether that reaction is learnt or simply part of our biology. It's a tricky thing to test because music is culturally ubiquitous. Neuroscientist Josh McDermott, who has found a way around this, by playing those tunes to members of a very remote Bolivian tribe - the Tsimane - and gauging their reactions. Adam Rutherford finds out more.
Past and Future of Zika Virus
The Zika virus outbreak in Latin America and the Caribbean has been raging for over a year, and some scientists are thinking that the outbreak might have hit its peak. But what will happen in the future, will this be an end to the outbreak or will Zika continue to cause problems in the area for decades to come. Understanding where the virus came from and knowledge of how related viruses, like dengue and Yellow Fever, behaved when they were introduced into the Americas may provide some important insights. We hear from University of Nottinghamâs Professor of Molecular Virology, Jonathan Ball, Dr Ann Powers from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Dr Scott Weaver from the University of Texas Medical Branch.
The Business of Failure
Dr Kevin Fong flies with a US air ambulance crew and discovers why it is seen as one of the most dangerous occupations in America. He talks to Mike Abernethy, Professor of Emergency Medicine and Med Flightâs chief physician, about the fatal accident.
"Silent" Red Hair Gene and Sun-Related Skin Cancer
People can carry a "silent" red hair gene that raises their risk of sun-related skin cancer, experts warn. The Sanger Institute team estimate one in every four UK people is a carrier. The gene's effect is comparable to two decades of sun exposure in terms of cancerous changes, they say. While people with two copies of the gene will have ginger hair, freckles and pale skin and probably know to take extra care in the sun, those with one copy may not realise they are at risk.
Pokemon Go
Pokemon Go, a mobile game that has become a global phenomenon, has been released in the UK. It was already available in the US, Australia and Germany but some UK gamers found ways around the country restriction to get early access. The app lets players roam a map using their phone's GPS location data and catch Pokemon to train and battle.
(50â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p040wz4k

âMedicareâ
WITNESS - BBC World Service
n July 1966, US government health insurance programme Medicare came into force, providing limited free health insurance for the over 65s. Ted Marmor was assistant to Wilbur Cohen, one of the architects of the plan. He speaks to Witness about his memories of that time. (9â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0412960

â17 July 2016â
SUNDAY MISCELLANY - RTE Radio 1
Selection from the archives (1970s and 1980s) : The Weather by Hilary Boyle; Learning to Waltz by Ben Kiely; Childhood, Donnycarney by Val Mulkerns; On and Off a Diet by Sean McCarthy; The Dublin of his Youth and Meeting Joyce in Paris by Austin Clarke  (28â)
[The podcast rendering of the program does not include the musical selections within the original program due to rights restrictions.  The complete program, which runs about 50â, can be heard by streaming the program from the RTE web site.]
http://www.rte.ie/radio1/sunday-miscellany/podcasts/

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com