[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 68

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âCovering Trump, BBC sitcom season, Vice's new TV channelâ
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
New York Times media columnist, Jim Rutenberg, has described how journalists who disagree with Donald Trump now face a dilemma in terms of their impartiality. "The American press has all but abandoned impartiality when it comes to the Republican's wildest claims", he writes. It's a similar problem to the one that faced broadcasters in the UK, especially the BBC, who were accused of 'false balance' during coverage of the EU referendum. Steve Hewlett speaks to Jim Rutenberg, and Emily Bell from Columbia Journalism school, about the challenge of covering Trump's campaign.
The media company, Vice, famed for its youth-oriented outlook, is launching a new TV channel in the UK. It will be available on Sky and Now TV, and - it says - will feature all new and original content. The company launched the US version in February this year. But how successful a venture will a linear TV channel be for a young audience? Steve Hewlett speaks to Tom Harrington, analyst at Enders Analysis.
BBC Comedy is reviving some much-loved sitcoms including Goodnight Sweetheart and Are You Being Served?. It's part of a season to mark 60 years since Hancock's Half Hour - considered to be the start of British situation comedy as we know it - started on BBC Television. But can this genre, which relies on innuendo, smut and difficult themes like race and sexism, exist in a modern world? Steve Hewlett speaks to Shane Allen, Controller, BBC Comedy Commissioning; writer Derren Litten who has written a new version of 'Are You Being Served', and legendary writers Lawrence Marks and Maurice Gran, famous for 'Goodnight Sweetheart' and 'Birds of a Feather'. (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07nn8gy

âFear vs. Factâ
THE WHY FACTOR - BBC World Service
Mike Williams asks if we now live in a post-factual age â where messages of fear dominate and the truth goes unspoken or unheard? He investigates the âBackfire Effectâ which means that entrenched views can become more entrenched â when confronted by contradictory facts. Politicians are often accused of distorting the truth â with Republican Presidential candidate Donald Trump the latest.  (18â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p042wmv6

âDoes Handwriting Have a Future?â
FUTURE TENSE - ABC Radio National
Handwriting, according to some, is an anachronism.  Finland has now dropped it from its national curriculum. And so many American states have also removed it as an educational requirement that it now only makes news when state officials opt to keep it.  According to the detractors, writing by hand no longer has a place in an age where people type and thumb their way using smart phones and computers. But others, including many psychologists, believe cursive writing still has an important role to play in cognitive development, particularly when it comes to memory.  In this episode, we hear the case for and against the retention of handwriting. And we also speak with Clive Thompson, a contributing writer for the New York Times Magazine, whoâs look beyond text and type to the next stage of communication. He calls it âvoice writingâ.  (29â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/does-handwriting-have-a-future/7574590

ââ

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com