[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 69

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âGoing Forward - Moses Znaimer's ideacity Conferenceâ
IDEAS - CBC Radio One
We like to believe we're moving steadily forward, progressing as a species, thanks to technology and human ingenuity. But at Moses Znaimer's ideacity Conference, held in June in Toronto, digital utopians and skeptics tried to figure out whether our wired world is best thing that's happened since the invention of sliced bread....or the absolute worst. (54â)
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/going-forward-moses-znaimer-s-ideacity-conference-1.3316090

âReconciling Liberty and Securityâ
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
What is the state of U.S. counterterrorism policy fifteen years after the September 11th attacks?  In this, the second part of a four part series titled âHindsight: Reflections on 15 Years of the War on Terrorâ the issue of reconciling liberty and security in 2016 is discussed, with special emphasis on the legal challenges surrounding the post 9/11 world.  Has a more balanced management of threats evolved over time?  And what more can be done to reconcile liberty and security?  The Hindsight Conference was presented by the Centre on National Security at the Fordham Law School in New York. 26 April, 2016.  (55â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/liberty-and-security/7692188

ââ

CAPSULE REVIEW â
IDEAS - CBC Radio One   [http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas]
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National   [http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/]
Tired of the biased and wholly uninformed opinions of pundits and pseudo-experts masquerading as intelligent scholarship?  Well, here are two programs that are the real deal when it comes to truly informed observation and analysis.  IDEAS and BIG IDEAS are essentially a series of lectures and panel discussions on a wide variety of topical issues by those mostly not so famous (or bombastic) but who hold a true and established pedigree of knowledge about which they are speaking. The standard is set at a high bar that challenges the listener to think by revealingâin a thought-provoking but accessible way--the complexities inherent in every issue or topic.  This is the kind of program that sets public service media apart from commercial radio and television and demonstrates why preservation and support of public media is so essential to informed conversation and debate.

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com