[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 73

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âNuala OâFaolain on Going from Nobody to Somebody Maybeâ
WRITERS AND COMPANY - CBC Radio One
When Nuala O'Faolain's memoir "Are You Somebody?: The Accidental Memoir of a Dublin Woman" was published 20 years ago, it was an enormous success both in Ireland and America. The book was a coming-of-age story, set in Dublin, about a woman who had enjoyed success as a journalist and television producer, but who, in her early 50s, found herself full of self-doubt, empty and lonely. The naked honesty of the writing touched readers deeply and contributed to significant word-of-mouth buzz.  In this conversation from 2003, Eleanor Wachtel speaks with Nuala O'Faolain on stage at the Literary Arts Festival in Victoria, B.C. Wachtel remembers the crowd response to the live interview as being the biggest she'd ever seen, with the overflow audience giving O'Faolain a standing ovation when she entered, before she said a word. O'Faolain died in 2008, at the age of 68.  (53â)
http://www.cbc.ca/radio/writersandcompany/nuala-o-faolain-on-going-from-nobody-to-somebody-maybe-1.3741134

âIs Edward Snowden a traitor or hero? Malthus and population; A tribute to Edward Albeeâ
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
In the last couple of weeks the campaign to bring Edward Snowden home has stepped up - as has the campaign to convict him.  Have we been mis-reading the most influential essay ever written on population? American playwright, Edward Albee died on September 16th aged 88. We replay an extract from Phillip Adams' 2009 interview. (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/19th-september-2016/7859256

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com