[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 75

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âHindsight Conference: Reflections on 15 Years of the War on Terrorismâ
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
Paris, Brussels, Istanbul, Quetta in Pakistan and Dakha in Bangladesh are just some of places that have been attacked this year.  Why is terrorism such a regular occurrence, and what can be done about it?  In this, the third of a four part series titled âHindsight: Reflections on 15 Years of the War on Terrorâ, a fascinating conversation and firsthand accounts of the way terrorism spread from the mountains of Afghanistan to many parts of the world.  John Miller is the New York Police Department or NYPDâs Deputy Commissioner of Intelligence and Counterterrorism. But before that, he was a reporter who in 1998, interviewed Osama Bin Laden in his hideout in Afghanistan. He speaks about that moment, and the warnings it contained for what was to come for America.  Ali Soufan is chairman and CEO of a strategic security intelligence service company, The Soufan Group. He is a former FBI agent, which the New Yorker described as the person who âhad information not been withheld from him--would have been Americaâs best chance to stop the 9/11 attacks. The Hindsight Conference was presented by the Centre on National Security at the Fordham Law School in New York. 26 April, 2016. (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/terorrism/7769622
[Ed. Note:  There was a wealth of information on terrorism and national security issues brought out in this conference by noted experts.  Incredibly, I can find no report in the media about it except for the series produced by the Australian Broadcasting Corporationâs Radio National ideas and issues radio network for its exceptional programs series, âBig Ideasâ.  I say âincrediblyâ because of the level of incomplete and misleading information that much of the media, the public and some of our political leaders seem to convey.  If you have an intellectual interest in this topic, you will do yourself a great service by seeking out the audio from the remainder of this conference via the âBig Ideasâ program web page or viewing the video presentations at http://www.centeronnationalsecurity.org/events/hindsight]

âThe New Feminist Frontâ
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
Women are routinely subjected to online abuse, harassment and the most appalling of threats.  More than just reflecting the sexism and misogyny that exists in society generally, the online space seems to have dramatically magnified it.  But women are fighting back!  How ugly is cyberspace for women and what should be done to address the problem? (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/the-new-feminist-frontier/7780082

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com