[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 76

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day.  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while Iâm plodding along my mind gets something to do along with my body.  Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

[Ed. Note:  Just one program highlighted this time.  This is a considerably dense and detailed subject, but paying close attention to it and staying with it will yield the listener a wealth of information and insight into our tax systems and why they are the way they are.  It also leaves one with the despair that while there is much to be done, little likely will be.  Many pass a lot of verbal wind about taxes.  It might be a good idea for one to know something about them before doing so.]

"Tax Havens: What Can be Done?"
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
Tax evasion is as old as taxes.  But with the introduction of mass income taxes at the beginning of the twentieth century, the issue has taken on new dimensions.  At the end of the First World War tax havens appeared in continental Europe. After the Second World War, a new generations of havens opened from the Cayman Islands and British Virgin Islands to the Bahamas, New Hebrides and other Pacific territories.  Many of these tax havens were state sponsored, making current calls for shutting them down problematic.  What then can be done to curb tax havens in the face of mounting inequality today?  This Sydney Ideas talk is co-presented with the Laureate Research Program in International History at the University of Sydney 27 July, 2016. (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/tax-havens/7733072

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com