[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 83

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âCaitlin Moran on Raised By Wolves, John Whittingdale on James Purnell, What Is Twitter Worth?â
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
In October, MPs debated the Draft BBC Charter, former Culture Secretary John Whittingdale joins us to discuss his concerns about the appointment of James Purnell as Director of Radio.
Have we reached peak Twitter? The last of the companies believed to be interested in buying the social network has said it's no longer interested. We speak to Emily Bell, Director of the Tow Centre for Journalism and Jamie Gavin MD of inPress online about how Twitter's commercial value sits with its growing influence.
And, since hearing that Channel 4 would not be re-commissioning a third series of her award winning sitcom 'Raised by Wolves', Caitlin Moran has decided to raise funds to produce the programme from crowd funding site Kickstarter. She joins Steve to discuss her plans.  (29â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z3cgz

âWealth Managers and the One Percent; What Are the Limits of Free Speech?â
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC Radio National
They control $21 trillion in private wealth and cost governments $20 billion in lost revenues. Take a look inside the world of the wealth manager.
Across US campuses students are demanding limits on offensive speech and texts - but is that the best way to combat racial inequality?  (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/past-programs/index=2016?page=6 (Scroll to 29 Sep. 2016)

__ __

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet