[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 86

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âLet Nature Be Your Teacherâ
BIG IDEAS - ABC Radio National
Why does a connection to nature matter so much for all of us?  In this Sydney Writers Festival session three authors explore nature and how it shaped their lives. James Rebanks who runs a 600 year-old family farm in the Lake District in Northern England discusses the purity of nature, Australian scientist and natural heritage advocate Tim Flannery explains what nature has taught him, and Jeanette Winterson talks about the day when twitter sphere erupted after she posted a photo of a dead rabbit she was about to put in her cooking pot.  So what does nature mean to each of us?  Why is nature so pure?  And how do we reconnect with the natural world in an age where our lives are connected to technology?  'Let Nature be your Teacher' was a Sydney Writers Festival event held at the Roslyn Packer Theatre in Walsh Bay, Sydney. 20th May 2016.  (54â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/let-nature-be-your-teacher/8063636

âCity of the Futureâ
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
 How does Houston, Texas, a massive city, deal with the pressures of immigration, an exploding youth population and a widening divide between rich and poor? The answer could be critical to the future success of the US. Sociologists who have studied the city for decades believe that many US metropolitan areas could look like Houston in 30 years' time. Since the election of Donald Trump, these issues have become even more critical.  Catherine Carr travels to Texas to see how the cityâs authorities and inhabitants are coping with the radical changes to Houstonâs demographics and meets the pioneers attempting to intentionally build bridges across city divides. (27â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04ks9pg
__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet