[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 92

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âFake It or Leave It"
CLICK - BBC World Service
- Both Facebook and Twitter have been in the firing line over fake news and online abuse. The social media platforms have taken action. But is it too little, too late? The scale of the problem is huge. Globally, billions of Facebook comments and hundreds of thousands of tweets are posted every day. Assuming even a small percentage have nefarious intent, eliminating abuse is a bit like King Canute trying to hold back the tide. Alison van Diggelen reports from Silicon Valley.
- A new competition is promoting innovative ways of conducting journalism in the future in Africa. Juliana Rotich joins Click to discuss judging the digital watchdog project that aims to fund projects such as the use of drones to shoot footage for news stories in inaccessible areas.
- How might your heart rate be used as a password? Click talks to the researchers Zhanpeng Jin and Linke Guo about securing medical data with the biometric password of your heart beat.
- The Stanford University researcher, Rahim Esfandyarpour, discusses the throwaway lab on a chip that will enable cheap and effective medical diagnosis in poor and remote areas of the globe. (27â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04svthn

âHope Speaks Outâ
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
Media headlines often fuel fear about refugees and amongst refugees. But what happens when refugees pick up the microphones and tell their own stories? Refugee Radio Network, in the German city of Hamburg, is a project that is tapping the power of community radio stations and the internet to give voice to refugees from wherever they have come. Founder Larry Macaulay, a Nigerian refugee who fled Libya in 2011, says âLet it be diverse, multi-ethnic, universal, no barriers, no borders - that is what I believe. Just come express yourself in the way you can.â  Moaz, a 22-year-old Syrian from Damascus, says he got involved to challenge the discrimination he has experienced. âThey think if you speak Arabic you are terrorist. Through our programmes we are trying to open the mind of the German people. To tell them - look these refugees they are not like what you see on your news. They are not animals. They are just normal persons - they eat like you, they work like you, they sleep like you. They are like you. They donât come from the moon or another planet.â Can this innovative radio project create better integration with German society and replace fear with hope? (27â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04s7bz7

__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet