[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 98

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

*********
CAPSULE REVIEW:  THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC RADIO 4
With time, most of what we shortwave listeners and hobbyists knew as âDX Showsâ have morphed into programs about technology, the media in general, or both.  BBC Radio 4 has had an outstanding program analyzing the British and international media for some time and its longtime host, journalist Steve Hewlett, never shied away from an issue â including when that issue involved informed criticism of the BBC.  Sadly, Hewett recent died from cancer.  He did carry on for as long as his illness permitted.  What follows below are links his last program in February, then an appreciation of Hewlettâs career from his colleagues, followed by a program hosted by seriesâ new host, Andrea Catherwood.

*********

-----

âJames Harding on Claims of BBC Bias Against Trump; Plus Sky and Iconic News Photosâ
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
- Daily Telegraph columnist Charles Moore has accused the BBC of bias in the way it covers Donald Trump. He says that news staff within the corporation suffer from an internal group think, which unconsciouslyprejudices BBC coverage of President Trump and other issues like Brexit, climate change and immigration. We hear from Charles Moore and get a response from James Harding, the BBC's Director of News and Current Affairs.
- James Harding also discusses the challenges in dealing with "fake news" and "alternative facts".
- And - Steve Hewlett joins Bette Lynch, Getty's director of news photography for Europe, the Middle East and Africa, and Eleanor Mills, editor of the Sunday Times magazine, to visit Getty Images exhibition of the Images of 2016 to discuss what makes an iconic news photograph and whether professionally taken still pictures still pack the same emotional punch in the age of social media, citizen journalism and embedded video.
- Plus - media analyst Mathew Horsman of Mediatique looks ahead to broadcaster Sky's financial results and what they could mean for sports coverage and 21st Century Fox's takeover bid. (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0890kjg

âA Celebration of Steve Hewlett, Presenter of The Media Showâ
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
Andrea Catherwood presents a celebration of the work of Steve Hewlett, the founding presenter of The Media Show, Steve Hewlett. She is joined by Andrew Neil, presenter of The Daily Politics and former editor of The Sunday Times; the investigative reporter, Peter Taylor; Roger Bolton, former BBC editor and Radio 4 presenter; BBC Trustee and former controller of Editorial Policy, Richard Ayre; and, media commentator Maggie Brown. (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08c2ljg

"David Beckham and Reputation Management, Curbing Abuse on Twitter, The Guardian"
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
- We look at what David Beckham's coverage this week tells us about PR, newspapers and reputation management. Andrea Catherwood speaks to Sara Mansooria, a media barrister at Matrix Chambers and to Denise Palmer Davies, a Director at Borne Media.
- A year ago the Guardian launched a three year plan to put itself on a firm financial footing - so how's it doing? And in an age of Brexit, May and Trump, how is the liberal title building its brand? We hear from Douglas McCabe, CEO and Director of Publishing and Tech at Enders Analysis and Dominic Ponsford, Editor of Press Gazette.
- And we look at Twitter's plans to curb abuse with Nick Thomas, Practice Leader for Digital Media at Ovum. (30â)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08cqqms

__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet