[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 117

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.
I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

-----

[...]

ââ

âEnd of Life Care"
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC Radio National
At a specially designed palliative care unit at a leading Sydney hospital we hear from a patient about his needs and expectations for the final stages of his life. We also hear from the passionate medical staff including a doctor, a social worker, and a psychologistâabout their determination to create comfort and meaning for residents and their loved ones. The staff reflect on what they learn about their own priorities in life by caring for others.  (30â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/end-of-life-care/8547822

âThe Science of Hedonismâ
ALL IN THE MIND - ABC Radio National
Sex, drugs, and rock ân' roll. Itâs a winning trifectaâno matter what the potential dangers are. But our compulsion to seek pleasure is not as primitive as we might think. Hear about what we can learn from having sex in an MRI machine, how a Swiss scientist discovered the highs of LSD, and the wide-ranging effects that music has on our brain.  (30â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/allinthemind/the-science-of-hedonism/8598236

************
Capsule Review:  ALL IN THE MIND (ABC Radio National)
Periodic, rolling budget cuts to Australiaâs public radio broadcaster have started to restrict the number of topical subject matter-oriented programs ABC Radio National can produce. Its managers claim that more wide ranging and less focused magazine style programs with shorter features and more general conversation are more popular with younger listeners.  Nonetheless, while more narrowly focused programs can be more challenging, they also can be more valuable and informative.  ALL IN THE MIND is one of the survivors (so far); and it is as unique as it is most welcome.  The program describes itself as âan exploration of all things mental...about the brain and behaviour, and the fascinating connections between them.â  Given that our brain arguably is the most important factor in making us human, it stands to reason that it should deserve undivided attention at least now and then.  Letâs hope that ABC management continues to see it that way, for ALL IN THE MIND amazes with the breadth and depth of its examinations and explorations of our âinner spaceâ.

__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet
__ __