[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 126

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âTruth and Lies'â
THE TED RADIO HOUR - NPR
We live in a time where the line between fact and fiction is increasingly blurry. This hour, TED speakers share insights on navigating a world where even the facts are up for debate. Deborah Lipstadt: How Do You Stand Up To A Holocaust Denier? Michael Specter: What Happens When We Ignore Scientific Consensus?  Laura Galante: Are All Of Us Vulnerable To Fake News?  Stephanie Busari: What Happens When Real News Is Dismissed As Fake?  Carrie Poppy: Can Science Reveal The Truth Behind Ghost Stories? (54â)
http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/533783169/truth-and-lies?showDate=2017-06-23

âPeering Into Spaceâ
THE TED RADIO HOUR - NPR
Gazing up at the night sky is simultaneously humbling and utterly thrilling. This hour, we'll hear from TED speakers who share an infectious sense of wonder and curiosity about our place in the universe and what lies beyond our skies.  Brian Greene: How Did A Mistake Unlock One Of Space's Mysteries?  Phil Plait: How Can We Defend Earth From Asteroids?  Jill Tarter: Are We Alone In The Universe?  Brian Greene: Is Our Universe The Only Universe? (54â)
http://www.npr.org/2013/02/15/172136499/peering-into-space?showDate=2017-06-30
__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
7th edition available from Universal Radio, Amazon, W5YI.com and Ham Radio Outlet