[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 131

Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while âpower walkingâ (most) every other day (when itâs not cold and wet or I havenât succumbed to laziness).  The âartâ of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by âpodding alongâ while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating programâs web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

Admittedly, these are thoroughly subjective recommendations, but my interests and tolerance for incompatible views are pretty wide-ranging. Hereâs another in a continuing series of small samplings:

ââ

âKeeping Teachers"
APM REPORTS DOCUMENTARIES - American Public Media
There may be nothing more important in the educational life of a child than having effective teachers. But the United States is struggling to attract and keep teachers. The problem is most acute in rural areas, where kids may learn math from a social studies teacher. In urban schools, the teachers most likely to leave are black men, who make up just 2 percent of teachers.  (52â)
https://www.apmreports.org/documentaries  (scroll to August 2017 and download from iTunes)

âThe Intellectual Decline of American Conservatismâ
BETWEEN THE LINES - ABC RN (Radio National)
In a wide-ranging interview, Tom Switzer talks to Pulitzer-prize winning journalist Bret Stephens about the moral and intellectual decline of American conservatism, why Twitter is the âpolitical pornography of our timeâ, and why some serious subjects like the debate surrounding climate change are difficult to discuss openly without inspiring hysteria. The discussion also focuses on why Donald Trumpâs was âthe greatest political strip-tease act in U.S. political history: the dirtier he got, the more skin he showed, the more his core supporters liked it.â (28â)
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/betweenthelines/bret-stephens/9000178

__ __

A monthly compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guideâ
New and Revised 8th edition available on November 1, 2017