[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 356

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning.  The act of putting one foot in front of the other can be pretty monotonous and by “podding along” while plodding along the mind also gets something useful to do.  So it can be with the time spent gardening, washing dishes, preparing meals and many other day to day activities.

Podcasting has grown to the point that it can justly be considered a medium all its own.  Therefore, the attempt here has to be to highlight only a small portion of it, just one corner where excellence reigns.

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“Conspiracy Theories in Times of Crisis”
BIG IDEAS - ABC RN
What do climate deniers, anti-vaccination activists and COVID-19 conspiracy theorists have in common? Why are they so resistant to ‘facts’? When the truth has no currency anymore and rational arguments don’t count for anything, it seems like there is no winning against conspiracy theories. But that’s not quite right. On Big Ideas, a panel of experts looks behind the concept of a conspiracy theory: what feeds them and what can kill them. Crisis and Denial presented by The Bob Hawke Prime Ministerial Centre and The Conversation. June 18, 2020. Speakers: Stephan Lewandowsky – Chair of Cognitive Psychology, University of Bristol; Professor Julie Leask – social scientist, University of Sydney; Dr Carmen Lawrence – psychologist, director of the Centre for the Study of Social Change, University of Western Australia; Chair: Misha Ketchell – editor of The Conversation. (55”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/conspiracy-theories-in-times-of-crisis/12627670

“The Future of Unions"
BIG IDEAS - ABC RN
Kerry O’Brien and Sally McManus look at changes to work and workplaces and the roles of unions in the future. Business leaders and union representatives in Australia are currently negotiating what could be landmark industrial relations reforms.  They will shape what the future of work looks like in Australia. And they also come at a time of drastic changes brought on by the pandemic crisis and new technologies. 'The end of an era, the future of work' presented by Griffith University in partnership with HOTA, Home of the Arts. August 25, 2020. Speakers: Sally McManus - Secretary of the Australian Council of Trade Unions; Chair: Kerry O'Brien - journalist.  (55’)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/bigideas/kerry-o’brien-and-sally-mcmanus-discuss-the-future-of-unions/12625760

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]