[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 361

Happy New Year!

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“One Big Game of Monopoly”
FUTURE TENSE - ABC RN
Economists are predicting a further concentration of industries and sectors coming out of the COVID-19 crisis. What that will mean long-term remains uncertain.  Meanwhile, in the tech sector, the giants of Silicon Valley are facing increased scrutiny. There are renewed calls in the US for tougher anti-trust regulation, but some doubt the effectiveness of such measures and argue instead for a wholesale rethinking of what we mean by competition. Guests: Professor John Quiggin - School of Economics, University of Queensland; Dr Adam Triggs – Director of Research, Asian Bureau of Economic Research, ANU; Professor Hal Singer – Manager Director, Econ One Research and Adjunct professor, Georgetown University; Ryan Bourne - R. Evan Scharf Chair for the Public Understanding of Economics, Cato Institute. (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/one-big-game-of-monopoly/12575738

"Ruth Bader Ginsburg; The Origin of Armageddon"
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC RN
She had a bold dream of becoming a lawyer in the 1950s, but faced discrimination at university and in getting a job. Ruth Bader Ginsburg went on to prove to the Supreme Court that discrimination on the basis of gender violated the 14th Amendment's equal protection Clause and eventually she reached the pinnacle of her career to be appointed to the Supreme Court. Bruce Shapiro and the director of the documentary RBG, Betsy West, discuss her contribution to modern American society and how she became Notorious RBG. Also, yhe idea of Armageddon - the last great battle - come from a place where multiple battles were fought in ancient times. It’s known as Megiddo, now a World Heritage-listed archaeological site in northern Israel. Unearthing the past of Megiddo, in a major digging expedition in the 1920s, involved many behind the scenes battles, as well. (54”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/the-life-and-death-of-ruth-bader-ginsburg-and-the-lost-city-of/12690934

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]