[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 363

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

"Slaying The 'Fee-for-Service Monster' Of American Healthcare”
HIDDEN BRAIN - NPR
In the United States, healthcare providers are typically paid based on services provided. The more tests a patient undergoes, the bigger the bill. Vivian Lee, a radiologist and healthcare executive, says this fee-for-service business model needs to be reconsidered. "You're rewarding people doing things to other people. And actually, in many cases, you're rewarding that regardless of whether it actually improves a person's health. So as long as you do a lot of procedures, as long as you poke and prod patients and do more colonoscopies or operations or administer expensive chemotherapeutic agents, the more you do to them, the more money you make.” Lee is the author of The Long Fix: Solving America's Health Care Crisis With Strategies that Work for Everyone.On this episode of Hidden Brain, Lee joins us to examine how American medicine became so profit driven, and to discuss ways to reach the best health outcomes at the lowest price. (53”)
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/02/908728981/slaying-the-fee-for-service-monster-of-american-healthcare

“'Why Nobody Feels Rich: The Psychology Of Inequality’”
HIDDEN BRAIN - NPR
When Keith Payne was in the fourth grade, he realized he was poor. The epiphany came to him in the cafeteria. "We had a new cashier in the line that day," he said. "And when I got to the cashier's desk she asked me for, I think it was $1.25. That was the first time that anybody had ever asked me to pay for my lunch because I'd always been on free lunch." Keith had been blissfully unaware that many of his classmates were paying for their meals every day. But now, he began comparing himself with his peers. "It's not like I was poorer the day after that than I was before. Nothing objective had changed. But because of that subjective awareness, now everything seemed different to me."  Keith Payne is now a social psychologist at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He's the author of The Broken Ladder: How Inequality Affects the Way We Think, Live, and Die. He says it's human nature to compare ourselves to others. But that instinct can cause psychological stress. (34”)
https://www.npr.org/2020/09/14/912749547/why-nobody-feels-rich-the-psychology-of-inequality

__ __

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]