[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 374

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“Science and Society: Frederic Bouchard”
IDEAS - CBC Radio One
As a philosopher of biology, Frédéric Bouchard has thought deeply about the role of scientific expertise, and society's trust in experts. These themes are more relevant than ever during a pandemic that has seen populist media and politicians reject scientific authority outirght, while infection and mortality rates skyrocket. Professor Frédéric Bouchard, who is the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Science at the Université de Montréal, delivered a talk in December 2020 at the Canadian Immunization Conference, entitled, Science and Society. (54”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/how-alexa-is-threatening-society-s-trust-in-scientific-expertise-1.5886849

"World Wide Waves: The Sounds of Community Radio”
THE DOCUMENTARY - BBC World Service
We may think we live in a digital age, but only half the world is currently online. Across the globe, small radio stations bind remote communities, play a dazzling array of music, educate, entertain and empower people to make change. Cameroon’s Radio Taboo, in a remote rainforest village 100 miles off the grid, relies on solar power; its journalists and engineers are all local men and women. Radio Civic Sfantu Gheorghe in the Danube Delta preserves the history of the community. Tamil Nadu’s Kadal Osai (“the sound of the ocean”) broadcasts to local fishermen about weather, fishing techniques—and climate change. In Bolivia, Radio Pio Doce is one of the last remaining stations founded in the 1950s to organise mostly indigenous tin miners against successive dictatorships. And KTNN, the Voice of the Navajo Nation, helps lift its listeners’ spirits in a time of loss and grief.  (53”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3ct20d6

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]