[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 376

Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather permits.  Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available through any number of other sources.

This continuing series of small samplings in more or less 90 minute helpings are curated by me.  I attest to the fact that I have listened to every podcast listed here.  So admittedly these are thoroughly subjective recommendations.  But my interests and tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging, even if I do say so myself.

__ __

“Marketing Mysticism: How shortcuts to enlightenment shortchange spiritual traditions”
IDEAS - CBC Radio One
Living in modern society is hard. The rigours of isolation, the sense that we alone are responsible for our success, the loss of connection that comes from just trying to cope — they all conspire to strip our lives of enchantment. Opportunities to be fascinated or awestruck can be rare. This diminution can lead many of us to look to other places, or even other worlds, to bring back some sense of higher purpose and deeper meaning. Wildly successful books like Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love chronicle that yearning, holding out the promise of contentment through accessing ancient wisdoms. That promise is often built around products and places that guarantee a shortcut to enlightenment. Welcome to the mystical marketplace — a place where Western seekers can turn to Eastern traditions to find some kind of healing for the ailments of modernity. Sophia Rose Arjana is a professor of religious studies at Western Kentucky University and says that while the seeking out of enchantment is a key characteristic of the loneliness of modern life, the challenge of the mystical marketplace —which includes a broad range of products and activities including festivals and experiences and wellness tourism — is that the healing journey of western consumers means the "dumbing down" of ancient traditions and beliefs. (54”)
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/marketing-mysticism-how-shortcuts-to-enlightenment-shortchange-spiritual-traditions-1.5889718

“Bruce Shapiro and Geraldine Brooks"
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC RN
Bruce Shapiro on the latest from the US, including the trial into George Floyd's death, and catch up with Australian-American journalist and novelist Geraldine Brooks, whose 2005 novel “March" won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, on the pandemic, the US and Tony Horwitz, her late husband and American journalist and author who won the 1995 Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting.. (54”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/bruce-shapiro-and-geraldine-brooks/13310618

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]