[Swprograms] Podding Along - Issue 393

Podcasts are a great development in the history of radio because they permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any convenient occasion.  I do it while “power walking” (most) every morning when weather and my own psyche permit.  Indeed, were it not for podcasts I doubt I would have found any other inspiration for putting in these miles as long as I have.

Hence…Podding Along!

Some of the best radio comes from the public networks of the UK, Australia, Ireland, Canada, New Zealand and the U.S.  While there are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of great podcasts from other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted though the worthy objectives of the medium.

Furthermore, I personally curate this continuing series of small samplings that are listed in more or less 90 minute helpings. Admittedly that makes these recommendations somewhat subjective.  But, as you will see, my interests are many and my tolerance for incompatible topics and views are pretty wide-ranging.  I hope you will find these suggestions helpful in enhancing your enjoyment of radio.

__ __

“Some Foresight about the Future of Foresight”
FUTURE TENSE - ABC RN (Radio National)
Trying to predict the future is a timeless and time-consuming pursuit. Artificial Intelligence is increasingly being enlisted to the cause, but so too are “super-forecasters” – a new coterie of individuals with remarkable predictive powers. But what are their limits and what does their rise say about the still popular notion of collective intelligence – the wisdom of the crowd? Future Tense looks at the changing role of humans in forecasting. Guests: Associate Professor Oguz A. Acar – City University of London; Dr Steven Rieber – Program Manager, IARPA, Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity (US); Professor Michael Horowitz – Director, Perry World House, University of Pennsylvania; Bruce Muirhead – CEO, Mindhive; Camilla Grindheim Larsen – researcher and consultant, Bergen Public Library (Norway).  (30”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/futuretense/some-foresight-about-the-future-of-foresight/13394868

“The War on the BBC and Crashing into Mt Everest”
LATE NIGHT LIVE - ABC RN (Radio National)
The BBC’s enemies are legion, and yet in spite of every scandal, politically and ideologically motivated attacks, and to be fair, outrages – the most recent being the news of Martin Bashir’s skulduggery with Princess Diana, the BBC nonetheless continues to enjoy widespread community support. But in a constantly changing media environment, what are the threats facing the BBC's future and why does it matter? And author Ed Caesar discusses the life of Maurice Wilson, a World War 1 veteran with a wild plan to climb Mt Everest. (54”)
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/june-17/13394398

— —

A monthly (well, mostly monthly) compendium of these newsletters, plus on occasion additional pertinent material, is now published in The CIDX Messenger, the monthly e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further information, go to www.cidx.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
Current 184 page 9th EDITION available from Universal Radio [universal-radio.com], Amazon [amazon.com], Ham Radio Outlet [hamradio.com]